Humboldt Open Paint Out
September 28 – October 3, 2020
Judge: Randall Sexton, celebrated Bay Area artist
The Redwood Art Association invites one and all to the second annual Humboldt Open Paint Out. Artists are invited to paint some of the most dramatic scenery in all of North America.
Back by popular demand, the event runs from September 28th through October 3rd, 2020. The show will remain up for two weeks after the contest. Awards will be presented at Arts Alive on October 3rd. All mediums welcome.
Humboldt County offers many vistas including the dramatic coastal cliffs off Scenic Drive in Trinidad or descend trails to capture the crashing waves off of the isolated beaches. Popular locations to set up an easel would include Patrick’s Point, the Eel River Valley, the Arcata Bottoms, the meandering back-roads of Humboldt County, or the magnificent redwood forest.
Rules of the Competition
1. Each artist will draw for a space at the Redwood Art Association’s Gallery at 603 F Street, Eureka. Artists will hang and frame their own work. Basic tools for hanging will be supplied at the gallery. Some spaces will vary slightly, and location will be based on the luck of the draw.
2. Artists may paint plein air anywhere in Humboldt County, everything must be painted outdoors during the time frame of the competition. All mediums are welcome.
3. Check in will start 8am on September 28th. Participants must get their canvas and paper stamped at the gallery before they paint on their substrate. There will be someone to stamp during open gallery hours throughout the week. Only stamped canvases and paper will be allowed in the show.
4. All work must be framed with artist name, title, medium, and price. Artists will be provided with title cards to fill out for all works shown. RAA takes a 30% commission on artwork sold.
5. An Entry fee of $95 for Redwood Art Association members and $145 for nonmembers will be accepted on first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. Cancellations will be accepted up until August 21st. As part of an entry folder for each artist they will receive a rules list, map of Humboldt, daily events schedule, a list of financial contributions from the community, and name placard with home location to be placed above RAA gallery assigned drawing hang site.
6. The RAA Gallery will additionally be open to the artists and the public from 10am through 5pm October during the competition . The artwork will remain up at the gallery for two weeks after the contest. Take down will be on October 17th. Out of town artists may take their art down after the contest. Artists may have additional canvas and paper stamped any time the gallery is open. The Reception and Awards Presentation is scheduled for 6-9 on October 3rd pizza will be provided during the awards by Arcata Pizza and Deli. Awards will be presented at 6:30.
8. All art for judging must be hung no later than 2pm on October 3rd.
9. All art must be removed on Saturday October 17th by noon.
You may also pay your Paint Out fee by sending a check for the full amount payable to the RAA to:
Redwood Art Association
603 F Street
Eureka, CA 95501
If you have questions, please email Erica Brooks.
Cancellation Refunds: Full refund of paint out fees will be made if you cancel your participation in the paint out by August 21. No refund will be made if you cancel after August 21, or if you do not show up or if you leave the paint out early for any reason.
<return to exhibitions page>