Humboldt Open Paint Out
October 7 – 11, 2019 Judge:Alan Sanborn, celebrated Humboldt artist
The Redwood Art Association and the Humboldt Landscape Painters invite one and all to the first Humboldt Open Paint Out. Artists are invited to paint some of the most dramatic scenery in all of North America.
Painters can choose to paint from the steep cliffs off Scenic Drive in Trinidad or descend to the crashing waves of the Northcoast isolated beaches. Paint at Patrick’s Point, the Eel River Valley, the Arcata Bottoms, the back roads of Humboldt County, or the tallest trees in the world.
Rules of the Competition
1. Each artist will draw for a space at the Redwood Art Association’s Gallery at 603 F Street, Eureka. Artists will hang their own work. Basic tools for hanging will be supplied at the gallery. Some spaces will vary slightly, and location will be based on the luck of the draw.
2. Artists may paint plein air anywhere in Humboldt County, everything must be painted outdoors during the time frame of the competition.
3. Check in will start 8:00am on October 7th at the RAA Gallery. Participants must get their canvas and paper stamped at the gallery before they paint on their substrate. There will be someone to stamp during open gallery hours throughout the week from October 7th through October 11th. Only stamped canvases and paper will be allowed in the show.
4. All work must be framed with artist name, title, medium and price. Artists will be provided with title cards to fill out for all works shown.
5. An Entry fee of $75 for Redwood Art Association members and $125 for nonmembers will be accepted on first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. We will continue to take entries until all the spaces are filled up until the event dates. Spaces will be drawn from a lottery to assign wall space at check in. The gallery will keep track of each artist’s location.
Each artist will receive an entry folder that includes a rules list, map of Humboldt County, daily events schedule, a list of financial contributions from the community, and artist's name placard with home location to be placed above the assigned hanging space at the RAA Gallery.
6. The RAA Gallery will additionally be open to the artists and the public from 8:00am through 7:00pm October 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th. The RAA Gallery will be open from 8:00am through 2:00 pm on the 11th. Artists may have additional canvas and paper stamped any time the gallery is open.
The Reception and Awards Presentation is scheduled for 7:00 – 9:00pm on October 11th. Pizza will be provided during the reception by Arcata Pizza and Deli.
7. All art for judging must be hung no later than 2:00pm on October 11th.
8. All art must be removed on Saturday October 12th by noon.
You may also pay your Paint Out fee by sending a check for the full amount payable to the RAA to:
Redwood Art Association
603 F Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Cancellation Refunds: Full refund of paint out fees will be made if you cancel your participation in the paint out by September 30. No refund will be made if you cancel after September 30, or if you do not show up or if you leave the paint out early for any reason.